Funny Bee and Lavera BB Cream Samples
I’ve been collecting some sample sachets for a little while now and decided to give the BB creams a go now that the weather is getting a bit warmer. As one of those people that will not buy something until I have already run out, I just have two natural liquid ‘foundation’ products in my make-up drawer: my much loved Madara Tinting Fluid and my Yes To Grapefruit CC Cream. You may notice I do not have a BB cream which is why I was interested to see how these two sachets faired with my super pale problem skin.
This one swatched fairly dark on my hand (the swatch on the left in the above image) but I was pleased to find it blended in really well into my skin without an orange or beige tint! I have found this before with my Yes To Grapefruit CC Cream which is also quite dark when it comes out of the bottle, but leaves a sheer glow rather than a matte finish meaning the colour is rather deceiving. I’m always the palest shade in any make-up I buy, so I usually find ‘light’ shades a little hit and miss as they mostly turn out not to be light enough. This Funny Bee Pretty BB Cream sample however worked perfectly – the colour matched my skin tone once blended and left my skin felt feeling very moisturised. I love using lightweight tinted products rather than full coverage foundations as it feels more natural and it doesn’t make me want to wash my face after an hour 🙂 I’d recommend this BB cream for anyone that likes very light make-up. If you have problem skin like me, then this is great as a tinted primer before applying mineral powder foundation. I also have to point out this product smells utterly divine!
Hamamelis Virginiana leaf water*, Glycerin*, Dicaprylyl carbonate, Acacia Decurrens/Jojoba/Sunflower seed Cera Polyglyceryl-3 esters, Prunus Armeniaca kernel oil*, CI77891 (titanium dioxide), Sesamum Indicum oil*, Squalane, Cellulose, Propanediol, Betaine, Butyrospermum parkii butter*, Triheptanoin, Stearic acid, Palmitic acid, Xylitylglucoside, Perilla ocymoïdes seed oil*, Sodium Hyaluronate, Anhydroxylitol, Xylitol, Dipotassium Glycyrrhizate, Sodium Stearoyl Glutamate, Water, CI77492, Sucrose Palmitate, Xanthan Gum, CI77491, Parfum, Glyceryl Stearate, Lysolecithin, Sclerotium Gum, Limonene, Aluminium Hydroxide, Sodium Benzoate^, Linalool, Pullulan, Benzyl Alcohol^, Glucono-lactone, Dehydroacetic acid^, Sodium Phytate, CI77499, Glucose, Sodium Dilauramidoglutamide, Geraniol, Glyceryl Stearate citrate, Sucrose, Mannan, Lysine, Calcium gluconate^, Magnesium Chloride, CI75130, Alcohol. *Organic ingredients ^Synthetic ingredients
- Hamamelis Virginiana is the latin name for American witch-hazel.
- Dicaprylyl carbonate is an ester (fatty substance) derived from rape seed to give a silkiness to face products.
- Prunus Armeniaca kernel oil is the latin name for apricot kernel oil.
- Sesamum Indicum oil is also known as sesame seed oil.
- Squalane is either derived from olives or shark liver oil (cause for marine conservation issues). The Funny Bee website cites that their squalane comes from olives as a moisturising agent.
- Propanediol is a solubilising product with moisturising properties obtained from corn – a natural and ecological alternative to the glycols derived from petrochemistry.
- Betaine is an active moisturising agent derived from beetroot, playing a part in the very gentle nature and stability of the cream.
- Butyrospermum parkii butter also known as shea butter.
- Triheptanoin is a vegetal ester (fatty substance) for its silky touch.
- Xylitylglucoside is a natural ingredient derived from the sugars found in wheat.
- Perilla seed oil, also known as Japanese Basil or Purple Mint, is a herb from the same family as rosemary and mint rich in omega 3 essential fatty acids used for its anti-inflammatory properties.
- Sodium Hyaluronate regulates moisturising and increases the skin’s elasticity; made from biotechnology and derived from natural products (wheat, beetroot).
- Anhydroxylito, Xylitol are multifunctional moisturising and restructuring agents from a natural, vegetable origin (wheat, wood) based on sugar chemistry.
- Dipotassium Glycyrrhizate are liquorice salts of plant origin with anti-inflammatory properties.
- Sodium Stearoyl Glutamate is a mild amino acid based surfactant derived from natural and renewable resources. Created from coconut oil and Glutamic Acid, this gentle cleanser has excellent cleansing and foaming properties, is environmentally-friendly and well-tolerated by sensitive skin types.
- Parfum is 100% of natural origin (no synthetic perfume used by Funny Bee).
- Glyceryl Stearate acts as a lubricant on the skin’s surface, which gives the skin a soft and smooth appearance.
- Lysolecithin is an emulsifying agent of plant origin with hydration properties.
- Sclerotium Gum is a stabilising and structural agent of plant origin.
- Pullulan is a gelling agent of natural origin: fungal polysaccharide produced by fermentation of liquefied corn starch.
- Glucono-lactone is a humectant agent of plant origin.
- Dehydroacetic acid is an ecologically certified anti-microbial preservative (not of natural origin).
- Sodium Phytate is a stabilising agent of plant origin.
- Sodium Dilauramidoglutamide is a surface active agent of plant origin.
- Glyceryl Stearate citrate is an emulsifying agent of natural origin. It is made by reacting glycerin with stearic acid, a fatty acid obtained from animal and vegetable fats and oils.
- Mannan is a surface active agent derived from plant polysaccharide.
- Lysine is a surface active agent of plant origin.
- Calcium Gluconate is a moisturising and softening agent ecologically certified. According to Paula’s Choice calcium gluconate “may be a good anti-inflammatory and healing agent when applied topically.”
Lavera BeautyBalm Tinted Moisturiser 6-in-1
The yellow-toned swatch on the back of my hand made me a little dubious about its suitability for my pale face, and as I suspected the Lavera BeautyBalm was completely the wrong shade once blended it in on application to my face. At first I didn’t think it looked that noticeable until I looked at it in the light! If you have yellow-toned skin then this will probably work for you, however if you have neutral or pink undertones then you will likely match better with the Funny Bee Pretty BB Cream. A shame as it did blend nicely and had a lovely creamy consistency: it’s also vegan certified.
Water (Aqua), Olea Europaea (Olive) Fruit Oil*, Alcohol*, Glycerin, Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891), Glyceryl Stearate Citrate, Lauryl Laurate, Myristyl Myristate, Glycine Soja (Soybean) Oil*, Cetearyl Alcohol, Lactobacillus/ Salix Alba Bark Ferment Filtrate, Carthamus Tinctorius (Safflower) Seed Oil, Xylitylglucoside, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice*, Euterpe Oleracea Fruit Extract*, Glycyrrhiza Glabra (Licorice) Root Extract*, Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea Butter)*, Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba) Seed Oil*, Prunus Amygdalus Dulcis (Sweet Almond) Oil*, Anhydroxylitol, Sodium Lactate, Sodium Hyaluronate, Tricaprylin, Glucose Glutamate, Dehydroxanthan Gum, Xanthan Gum, Tocopheryl Acetate, Hydrogenated Palm Glycerides, Hydrogenated Lecithin, Lysolecithin, Lecithin, Bisabolol, Iron Oxides (CI 77491), Iron Oxides (CI 77492), Iron Oxides (CI 77499), Silica, Magnesium Silicate, Mica, Xylitol, Microcrystalline Cellulose, Algin, Tocopherol, Brassica Campestris (Rapeseed) Sterols, Helianthus Annuus (Sunflower) Seed Oil, Ascorbyl Palmitate, Tin Oxide, Fragrance (Parfum)**, Linalool**, Limonene**, Geraniol**, Citronellol**, Citral**, Benzyl Benzoate** * ingredients from certified organic agriculture, ** natural essential oils
- Lauryl Laurate is synthesised from lauryl alcohol and lauric acid to be used as a skin conditioning agent. According to EWG.org it has a safe to use and has a low hazard rating of 1.
- Euterpe Oleracea Fruit Extract also known as acai berry.
- Myristyl Myristate is a naturally derived ester, formed by the combination of Myristyl Alcohol and Myristic Acid, which occurs naturally in animal or vegetable fats or oils.
- Sodium Lactate is the natural salt derived from a natural fermentation product, lactic acid. According to truthinaging.com it is naturally produced in the skin and has the ability to inhibit bacteria development.
- Lysolecithin is a natural ingredient is obtained from Lecithin compounded with enzymes. According to Weleda: “due to its emulsification properties, it serves as a base for creams”.
- Bisabolol is an anti-irritant that is typically extracted from chamomile but may also be derived synthetically.
- Algin is derived from brown seaweeds.
For fair skin, Funny Bee definitely matches those pale complexions that are difficult to buy for, and I did really enjoy applying to my skin. It smelled so lovely, felt smooth on my skin and helped my skin feel hydrated under my mineral foundation. Personally I wouldn’t buy the Lavera BeautyBalm as it didn’t match me, but I would recommend for yellow-toned skin. If the shade were more porcelain I think I would have purchased!